I have 20 years of experience teaching at third-level covering mainly subjects such as Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, CSCW and Qualitative Research Methods. I have taught various other subjects under the broad umbrella of human-centred computing.
I have given several invited lectures at other institutions, including the Limerick School of Art and Design (Ireland), the University of Siena, the IUAV University of Venice (Italy), the EUSSET International Summer School on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, and the CSCW Asia Winter School.
In the past, I was Postgraduate Research Tutor, Computing as part of the Industry & Innovation Research Institute PGR Team at Sheffield Hallam University.
I am currently co-supervising 1 PhD student:
- Sophie Glazik (SHU) (as External Supervisor): Sophie is researching the potential of participatory approaches to IT procurement for clinical settings.
I have supervised 8 PhDs to successful completion:
- Dr Mariana Salgado (as external supervisor), “Designing for an Open Museum”, University of Art and Design, Helsinki (Finland) December 2009
- Dr Marc McLoughlin, “Designing for Public Interaction: Extending, Applying and Reflecting on the Principles of ‘Assembly’”, University of Limerick, August 2011
- Dr Nora O’ Murchú, “Designers as Curators, Users as Designers: A Reflective Study of Hacking to Extend Interaction Design Practice”, University of Limerick, August 2012
- Dr Aparecido Fabiano Pinatti de Carvalho, “Technologically-Mediated Nomadicity in Academic Settings: Understanding Tm-N as a Dynamic and Emergent Process”, University of Limerick, August 2013
- Dr Laura Maye (as external supervisor), “Investigating the Practices of Cultural Heritage Professionals Integrating Digital Technologies in a Small Museum”, University of Limerick, January 2017.
- Dr Caroline Claisse (as 2nd supervisor), “The Augmented House: Crafting Tangible Interaction in House Museums”, SHU, January 2019.
- Dr Ghayda Al Juwaiser (as Director of Studies), “Saudi Women’s Identities and their Online Practices across Social Media Platforms”, SHU, May 2019.
- Dr Deborah Wilson (University of Winchester, as External Supervisor): “Curator, Designer and Visitor Interaction in Cultural Heritage Interpretation Design Practice”, University of Winchester, October 2020.
I have also supervised research and taught Masters’ dissertations and several undergraduate Final Year Projects.
If you are interested in pursuing postgraduate studies under my supervision, feel free to get in touch.